Platform for Coal Regions in Transition update – 06/11/2019
Conclusions of the 6th Working Group meeting
EU coal regions building on their strengths for a just transitionAgainst a changing landscape at the EU political level, with a new European Parliament, and a newly elected president of the European Commission coming into place, coal regions from all over the EU met on 16-17 October in Brussels to discuss their path towards decarbonisation and a just transition. More…
Introducing the START regions
Working on the principle of taking a bottom-up approach, DG Energy’s Platform for Coal Regions in transition is putting co-creation and collaboration front and centre in the support it will be offering the following regions in realising the transition away from coal:Asturias (ES), Jiu Valley (RO), Karlovarsky (CZ), Malopolska (PL), Midlands (IE), Peloponnese (EL) and Silesia (PL) successfully applied for the Platform’s Secretariat’s Technical Assistance to Regions in Transition (START) which is designed to help regions take practical steps in economic diversification and decarbonisation.These regions will benefit from needs-oriented expertise and capacity building over the next two years with the aim to leave a legacy of enhanced transition-related projects, capabilities, and capacities. Updates to follow!
Annual political dialogue – 25-26 NovemberThe 2019 Annual political dialogue of the Platform for coal regions in transition will take place on 25-26 November in Görlitz, Germany. During the two-day event, high-level speakers will reflect on the progress achieved in the past year and look at the future of the initiative in a new European context with an ever-increasing focus on ‘just transition’. Site visits will be organised for participants to see concrete transition projects in Lausitz. More…
- Case studies – Platform for Coal Regions in Transition.
- Seven Golden Rules for open and inclusive just transition planning at the regional level. – WWF
- Declaration of Mayors on just transition – WWF
- Regions Beyond Coal – WWF
- Best practices – TRACER project
- Study Tour, Cardiff, Wales, UK (20th November) – TRACER project
- Coal Transitions – The Coal Transitions Hub brings together local knowledge from various researchers of major coal consuming and/or producing countries.
- Study: “Transformation Experiences of Coal Regions. Recommendations for Ukraine and other European countries” – Germanwatch
Resources, agenda, presentations, photos and webstreams from the 6th Working group meeting can be found here.